Those who know me (and now you), know that renowned artist, Frida Kahlo is my favorite artist. As someone with an art background, I have many favorites, but Frida tops the list. Which was why, it was only a matter of time before I named one of my products after her. This smoky and aromatic blend is an homage to Frida. These tacos are just one of many applications to use this artisanal spice blend. Check out this recipe and experiment on your own!
This recipe can easily be made into non-vegan for the pork lovers.
- 1 Cup of Vegan Pork substitute of choice.
- 1 TBSP of Coconut Oil
- 2 TBSP of Frida’s Flavors Artisanal Spice Blend (The Fig & The Knife)
- 2 TBSP of Water.
- 2 Vegan tortillas
- 2 TBSP of Chopped Red Onion
- ¼ cup of ripe mango
- Red Leaf Lettuce
- Cilantro “Green” Sauce (The Fig & The Knife)
- ¼ Jalapeno
- Drizzle of Chili Sauce of choice
- Heat a skillet on high and add coconut oil until fully melted
- Add 1 cup of vegan pork substitute. I used Morning Star.
- Add 2 TBSP of Frida’s Flavors seasoning and sauté until browned.
- Add a few TBSP of water as needed to ensure ‘pork’ stays tender.
- While ‘pork’ cooks, dice mango and red onion into small dice and set aside.
- Slice jalapeno into ¼” slices on the bias and set aside.
- Remove ‘pork’ from pan once cooked and heat tortillas in same pan to absorb any left over flavor.
- We’re ready to plate. . .arrange as follows: Tortilla > one full leaf of red leaf lettuce > Frida’s ‘Pork’ > Chopped Mango & Red Onion > Jalapeno Slices > Drizzle of Green Sauce > Drizzle of Chili (I used Sambal Olek)
If you’d like to make these tacos into traditional carnitas tacos or with chicken, pre-make your carnitas or chicken in a slow cooker. Infuse with Frida’s Flavors Artisanal Spice Blend. Once cooked, follow steps as outlined to create a crisp on your meat!
To order spice visit our Contact Us page at The Fig & The Knife and write us.