Taste the Rainbow! No, this isn’t a candy salad! Unless, you consider delicious, colorful, and fresh farmers market veggies natures candy like I do!
Sharp Knives, Cutting Boards, Mixing Bowls, Mixing Spoons & Chopping Stamina* (You don’t want to use a mechanical chopping tool or you’ll lose the integrity of the vegetables.)
For the Salad:
FRESH Seasonal Veggies, and sometimes fruit! This is flexible depending on your preference
- 1 to 2 Tomatoes
- 1 to 2 Zucchini or Cucumber
- ½ Red Onion
- 1 to 2 Bell Peppers (I prefer red/yellow or orange)
- 1 to 2 Carrots
- 1 to 2 of any other veggie you like, or even chick peas for protein.
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Lemon Zest & Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 TBSP The Fig & The Knife’s 7 LayersSpice Blend (This complex blend includes spices such as, thyme, sumac, oregano, lemon, sage and sesame seeds to start)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs or micro greens for garnish.
For the Herbaceous Spiced Bread
- 2 TBSP The Fig & The Knife’s 7 LayersSpice Blend
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Bread of choice, such as Persian Sangak Bread, Pita or even a hearty loaf of artisanal bread.
Let’s start with the Herbaceous 7 Layer Spice baste . . .
- In a small bowl whisk together the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and 7 LayersSpice Blend, set aside. Make sure all the herbs are covered and coated in olive oil.
For the Salad. . . .
- Chop all the veggies into ¼ inch dice. You can certainly make your dice bigger if you prefer, but just make them all even so all the flavors come through equally.
- Toss into large mixing bowl as you will be mixing thoroughly
- When done drizzle in olive oil to coat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice and zest.
- Then add in 7 Layers seasoning.
- Mix completely.
- The veggies will begin to release their own juices and mix together with the oil, lemon juice and spices so expect more liquid as the salad sits. Which is why you want a large bowl.
Plating. . .
- While salad rests for a few moments, turn back to your bread.
- Layout your bread slices, and place a small spoonful on the bread and spread. You can also brush on with a basting brush. At this point you can eat as is, or warm/broil or toast. Highly Recommended!
- Spoon a generous portion of salad into a bowl and enjoy together!!
TIP: The longer this salad sits, the better it will taste. So feel free to make the day before. It’s a great meal prep option, to use throughout the week!
Enjoy, Chef Janette!!
Click Here to download a PDF Version. Mediterranean Rainbow Salad