A Local Phoenix Farmer’s Market Collaboration
Artisanal Wine Berry Sausage from The Proper Beast, paired with our own creamy Sunset Sauce!
We’ve collaborated with our farmer’s market neighbors at The Proper Beast to bring you a delicious meal, which includes their NEW Wine Berry Sausage, featuring sweet sultanas and lemony sumac. Perfectly paired with our NEW Sunset Sauce. Our Sunset Sauce is sesame based, with rich flavors of sun dried tomatoes and our own Artisanal 7 Layers Spice Blend. Read on and make this meal at home this weekend, or at your next dinner party. Serves 4. Cut portion in ½ for a delicious appetizer!
The Wine Berry Sausage Spheres:
- 1 lb. of The Proper Beast Wine Berry Sausage.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs
- Olive Oil for pan
- 1 ½ cups of organic tri-color quinoa
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup of Tender Sun Dried Tomatoes
- ¼ cup of Roasted Garlic
- 1 TBSP of The Fig & The Knife’s 7 Layers Spice Blend (featuring flavors such as Mint, Sumac, Thyme and other spices)
Plating the Sunset Sauce:
- The Fig & The Knife’s New Sunset Sauce
- 2/3 Sun Dried Tomatoes – julienned
- 3/4 Roasted Garlic Cloves
- Zest of a lemon
Let’s start with the Grains:
- With a fine mesh strainer, rinse your quinoa under cold running water until water is clear about 1 to 2 minutes. (If you skip this step your quinoa will have an off perfumed flavor.)
- Drop the quinoa into a medium pot, with 3 cups of water.
- Season water with extra virgin olive oil, 7 Layers seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, and roasted garlic. (You can easily pre-roast your garlic cloves by chopping the top off of a head of garlic, placing on aluminum foil and drizzling with olive oil, salt and pepper for about 45 min. in a 400 degree oven. Make extra and store up to 1 week in fridge. Or your favorite store bought brand will do)
- Bring to boil, and reduce to simmer with a tight fitting lid for about 15 minutes, until water has been fully absorbed.
- When time is up, turn off heat, fluff quinoa and set aside.
Let’s get Rolling:
- Pre-heat your oven to 375.
- While your quinoa is cooking (step 4). . . It’s time to make the Sausage Spheres.If you purchased your sausage already loose, simply place raw sausage into a large glass or metal bowl. If your sausage is still in its casing, gently slice along the short end of sausage and push meat out of casing.
- Then add the egg, and bread crumbs. Normally, I’d suggest seasoning, but as the sausage is already perfectly balanced, you’re good to go!
- With clean hands mix all together until blended. If you prefer, use a rubber spatula, just be sure you have blended well.
- Pinch off a small amount of sausage and roll into golf ball size, about 1.25 ounce each. You’ll end up with about 12 spheres.
- Time to brown….place a 10” oven safe pan on your stove on medium-high.(cast iron preferred). Brown the spheres on all sides, (use a spoon to turn to maintain integrity of your spheres, using a fork could nick them and using a spatula can flatten them if not careful)
- Once browned all around, place the entire pan of sausage spheres in the pre-heated oven for 10/12 minutes to finish cooking and they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Pour a generous amount of Sunset Sauce along one side of your plate and sweep the back of your spoon through the sauce to create a crescent.
- Nestle your quinoa along the sauce on your plate without covering it. Then dress quinoa with additional Sun Dried Tomatoes, Garlic Cloves & Lemon Zest.
- Place 3 Sausage Spheres and along side quinoa and sauce per plate.
- Drizzle additional Sunset Sauce over sausage spheres to finish the dish.
- Dust the dish with a fine sprinkle of 7 Layers Spice Blend to top it off.
Enjoy, Chef Janette
VEGAN/VEGETARIAN TIP: You can easily follow this recipe by simply substituting meatless meatballs or falafel for an amazing dish.